Marketing to Moms: Smartphone Moms are Apple Moms
August 28, 2012 § Leave a Comment
I have been writing for some time about how smartphones are a Moms best friend. And of course, my phone of choice is the iPhone. Oh, and the iPad for Facetime and Skype. And of course, my MacBook Pro for Facetime. I have long believed that these are the tools of choice for Moms and recent new research reinforces this maternal love of Apples!
So here’s how the Apple rolls – as expressed by Arbitron and Edison Research Moms and Media 2012 Research:
• 92% of Moms own a cell phone
• 61% of Moms own a smartphone. The number of Moms with smartphones doubled from 2011 to 2012. In 2009, only 8% of Moms had a smartphone. By the way, the iPhone celebrated its fifth birthday this year.
• 51% of Moms own an Apple iPhone, iPad, or iPod
• 25% of Moms own iPhones, and 32% of Moms own those Android phones. Yes, Android did have a growth spurt as they modeled their phones after iPhone functionality.
• iPhone users exhibit more loyalty than non-iPhone users. When asked which they couldn’t live without – the iPhone or television – 70% chose their iPhone!
• Yes, we sleep, eat and go to the bathroom with our iPhones. 93% say their smartphone is always nearby.
What does Apple love have to do with marketing? Well, I am glad you asked. Moms know a thing or two about purchasing. They have a buying power of $2.4 trillion in 2011. And mobile devices are part of their purchasing behavior. A new report from Mojiva shows that 97% of tablet-owning Moms made a purchase using their tablet in the past month. I know, I was one of them. I purchased plane tickets, shoes and books. When you look at all connected moms, you find that 62% use a shopping app and 46% want to receive information while in a store.
Can you imagine how many more Moms will jump at the chance to have the new iPad mini and iPhone 5 coming out this Fall? It will be a GREEN Christmas for Apple.