July 8, 2010 § Leave a comment
“Move over puppy, make room for my iPhone in the bed.” Evidently not only are we obsessing about our Facebook and Twitter during the day, but we can’t wait to see who wrote on our wall during the night. It’s another dependency to worry about, just like whitening your teeth too much!
Fess up, you ladies with the cramped social media fanatical fingers. Seems that one out of three women aged 18-34 check Facebook when they wake up, before they go to the bathroom or the coffeepot. A study released yesterday by Oxygen Media and Lightspeed Research shines a light on women’s social media addiction.
Here are the facts. Tell me what you think:
• More than 57% of young women say they talk online more than face-to-face. In fact, college students in particular think it takes too long to call someone when social media is quicker and easier.
• A full 39% of young women consider themselves addicts. What about those who are hiding their addiction? Running into the bathroom to post a tweet or check their Facebook.
• There are 21% of women age 18-34 who check their Facebook in the middle of the night. Romeo, O Romeo, where art thou?
• Half are okay with being Facebook friends with complete strangers and 50% are okay with dating people they have met on Facebook. Okay, just because it’s called Facebook does not mean that hunky photo is an accurate representation of that guy.
• 49% of women think it is okay to keep tabs on Romeo by watching his Facebook wall or his tweets.
• Thank God, 89% of women think you should never post anything that you don’t want your parents to see.