Marketing to Moms: Mobile Web Usage Key to Reaching Moms
March 10, 2010 § Leave a comment
Smartphones Are the Power in Power Moms
Smartphones are changing our lives forever – becoming our tether to the world around us. And specifically for Mom, the smartphone has become the tool that powers our day.
Here are some of the tell-tell signs of our new addiction:
- We carry our phones with us everywhere. In fact, we get panicked when we don’t have them with us, in the same way we get nervous when we misplace our purse or wallet. A large majority of us even sleep with our phones. Admit it; it’s true.
- The phone carries our life inside it. The phone contains our address book, our social life, our calendar, our pictures, our favorite apps, our music and entertainment for us and our children, our news and all our email and text correspondence.
- We feel empowered by our phone. The phone becomes our primary tool to make it through the day. We can multi-task with the best of them – keeping up with business and home. In fact, our phone becomes an extension of us.
How often we use our phones online
PR firm Ruder Finn finds that Americans spend approximately 2.7 hours on the mobile Internet a day. And since 95 percent of phones sold today have a web browser, online access is becoming more ubiquitous than ever. In 2010, a third of all U.S. online users will be mobile users. Just in 2009, smartphone ownership increased from 11 to 17 percent.
We live in an age of instant information and connection. We use our phones to manage our life, to connect with others, to work, to shop and to stay current.
How should marketers to Moms react to usage of mobile web?
- Your Web site should be optimized for mobile viewing. That one step will improve user performance by 20 percent. You have to be mobile web and smartphone friendly.
- Make social sharing easy. If Moms are quick to share opinions and information with their friends, they want to be able to do it quickly and efficiently.
- Offer convenient ways for Moms to purchase, book reservations and get updates. Provide Mom with updates, discounts, events and special offers that she can take advantage of while she is on the go.
- Try providing contingency budget to experiment with new mobile marketing options. There are new social media and online opportunities being added daily. Try to carve out some budget for testing to see what is right for your brand.
Understanding the habits of your target and providing for mobile web marketing will be key to reaching Moms effectively now and in the future.