Marketing to Moms: Retailers Wake Up! You Need Mobile!
July 6, 2010 § 1 Comment
Hmmm. Here are the facts retailers:
• 23% of mobile phone users have smart phones and consider them an extension of their lives
• 90% of all phones sold have web browsers and one out of three users will access the web through their phone
• Half of all cell phone users think it is safe to make a purchase from their phones
• Web shopping is currently 6% of all retail sales and is growing
• Web research influences 53% of our purchases
But, digital strategy firm Acquity Group found that only 12% of the top 500 internet retailers had sites optimized for mobile phones, up from 4% a year ago.
Wake Up, Guys! Mobile is the new frontier. Those who don’t allow customers to easily interact with them on their mobile devices will lose the race going forward.
The list is heavy with companies selling gifts, flowers, books and the “mass merchants”.
And here’s a tip for you. When it comes to mobile URLs, please use the “m-dot” naming convention for mobile Web addresses. Some snappy URL will only confuse your customers.
And by the way, what will I buy from my phone? Movie and entertainment tickets, books, music, games, apps, airline tickets, hotel reservations, apparel, ……….. Get the picture?