Marketing to Hispanics: Go Mobile
August 20, 2010 § Leave a comment
Marketing to Hispanics is important to almost every business. They are the fastest growing segment of our population. One in every six persons in the U.S. are Hispanic. Half were born here. The Hispanic population attribute their heritage to 22 different countries.
80 percent of United States born Latinos use a cell phone while 72 percent of foreign born Latinos do so.
A majority of English dominant (87 percent) Hispanics 16 and older and bilingual (77 percent) Hispanics are more likely to use cell phones than Spanish dominant Latinos (35 percent).This report was based primarily on the 2009 National Survey of Latinos, conducted from August 5 through September 16, 2009 among a randomly selected, nationally representative sample of 2,012 Hispanics ages 16 and older. The survey was conducted in English and Spanish on landline and cellular phones.
At the same time, Latinos are a bit more likely than whites only to have a cell phone (i.e. they have no landline phone): 31% of Latinos only have a cell phone, compared to 22% of whites.
And, among those in our sample who have both cell and landline phones, Latinos are more likely than whites to say they make most of their calls on their cell phones.
The cell phones that Latinos have are often to use their cell phones for all kinds of activities. For instances, Latino cell owners are more likely than whites to use their cells to:
- take still pictures: 56% of cell-owning Latinos do that, compared to 26% of cell-owning whites
- use text messaging: 54% of cell-owning Latinos do that, compared to 31% of cell-owning whites
- play games: 40% of cell-owning Latinos do that, compared to 20% of cell-owning whites
- surf the internet: 29% of cell-owning Latinos do that, compared to 12% of cell-owning whites
- play music files: 16% of cell-owning Latinos do that, compared to 5% of cell-owning whites
- send/receive email: 16% of cell-owning Latinos do that, compared to 7% of cell-owning whites
- record video clips: 15% of cell-owning Latinos do that, compared to 5% of cell-owning whites
With 40 percent of U.S. Hispanic adults accessing the Internet on their mobile phones and only 20 percent of marketers utilizing the channel to reach Hispanics, mobile marketing represents a unique opportunity for reach and rich engagement.
The U.S. Census Bureau were one of the largest users of mobile marketing this past year and HBO had a very successful campaign for their sports events. It’s time for other brands are waking up to its utility for the Hispanic market.