Holiday Marketing to Women: The Best Apps for Shopping
December 1, 2010 § 2 Comments
Unless you have been under a rock, you know that one in four people will be using smartphones for shopping this holiday season. According to a recent National Retail Federation survey, this year, more shoppers plan to use smartphones to look for gift ideas, compare gift prices and find holiday bargains.
And we also know that smartphones are being purchased by Santa’s elves at a record speed, based on research reported in Media Post:
“The findings show an uptick in new smartphones and downloads during the four-day Thanksgiving weekend based on tracking Flurry does via the thousands of apps that incorporate its analytics software. So the total of new devices detected by Flurry jumped 57% to about 375,000 on Black Friday from the week earlier and 31% on average from Thursday to Sunday.”
Not only are we buying smartphones for others, but we are buying them for ourselves and using them to assist in shopping. And to do that, the shopping apps abound.
Here is just a partial list of apps dedicated to shopping:
1. Scandit. Free app that allows you to compare store prices by scanning barcodes.
2. Coupon Sherpa. Free coupon aggregator app that combines all online, printable, grocery and mobile coupons into one app.
3. Yowza. Free location-based coupon app that allows you to see what coupons are available to stores around you.
5. FastMall. Have the layout of any mall at your fingertips, helping you navigate the crowds. Best features is the restroom locater.
6. ShopSavvy. Free app, much like Scandit, you can scan a barcode and compare prices plus read reviews.
7. Amazon. Free search and compare. Only a million items sold.
8. Milo. Allows you to compare prices at popular retailers like Macy’s, Walgreen’s and Nordstrom.
9. Beat the Traffic. Free router to navigate the high shopping day traffic.
10. PriceGrabber. Allows you to set price alerts and get notification if prices fall.
11. Google Shopper. Free Android only app. Search for a product by image, barcode, voice, or typing what you’re looking for.
12. Key Ring Rewards Cards. You can use this app’s scanner to scan your key ring barcodes (or manually put in the numbers if the scanner doesn’t work). From there, you can simply use your mobile device at checkout as your loyalty card.
So the message is clear — Marketers, get ‘appy, because women are certainly app happy this holiday season.
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/15-phone-apps-that-make-holiday-shopping-easier-2010-11#ixzz16tuyPFnT
Tagged: 2010 Holiday shopping, Amazon, Beat the Traffic, Coupon Sherpa, FastMall, Favorite Smartphone apps, Google Shopper, Holiday App Shopping, iPhone, Jamie Dunham, Key Ring Rewards Cards, marketing to moms, media post, Milo, Moms' favorite apps, National Retail Federation, PriceGrabber, Pricegrabber.com, Scandit, Shopkick, ShopSavvy, Smartphone, smartphone apps, Smartphone holiday shopping, Sports Authority, The Lipstick Economy, Yowza