Superbowl Marketing to Women! Finally!
February 1, 2014 § Leave a comment
Why are brands marketing to women for the Super Bowl? It’s not all chips and dips. Women are an important target because according to Nielsen demographic data, 46 percent of the Super Bowl viewing audience is female, and more women watch the game than the Oscars, Grammys and Emmys combined!
What makes women so important? Women influence the majority of purchases across all categories. And even more importantly, women out-tweet men by 60%. According to Adweek, of the 20.9 million Super Bowl-related tweets sent during last year’s game, nearly 30 percent were about the ads.
So among the spots on Super Bowl Sunday will be spots that are clearly appealing to a female audience. Many of these have already been viewed millions of times. Marketers are grabbing the gusto both pre- and post-game. Here are just a few of Sunday’s popular spots:
1. Cheerios – “Gracie”. The sweet little girl in the interracial family finds out that she is getting a new baby brother — and something else.
2. Budweiser – “Puppy Love”. Budweiser is out to pull our heartstrings with this Clydesdale-puppy love fest.
3. Chobani Yogurt – “Chobani Bear”. Bob Dylan helps Chobani sell yogurt to women in this spot.
4. Dannon Oikos – “The Spill”
Greek yogurt is big this year with another Oikos spot that boasts celebrity spokesperson John Stamos. This year, Oikos is stepping up their game with a“Full House” reunion featuring Bob Saget and Dave Coulier.
5. Butterfingers Marriage Counseling. Okay, this is a football game spot?
6. VW Wings. An ode to A Wonderful Life has engineers getting their wings when a Volkswagen turns 100,000 miles.