October 3, 2012 § Leave a comment
New information released from My Life shows that while women are more likely to be a member of Facebook and login more frequently, they also exhibit a “fear of missing out (FOMO)”. The study also reinforces the fact that women are more likely to check their e-mail accounts more often. We are all living in “real time”. Social media and email brings the world to us on a constant basis. The world is increasing our interactivity constantly. As I write this the first Presidential Debate is airing. It was the most tweeted and Facebooked political event in history. Social media has become the proverbial “water cooler” and “backyard fence”.
Lots of studies have shown that women are more active in social media so what’s the news here? Well, not only are women more likely to be a member of Facebook but they also check-in with more frequency.
- 95% of women surveyed belong to Facebook vs. 86% of men
- 67% of women login to Facebook once a day or more as compared with 54% of male Facebook members
- 21% of women login 2-3 times a day vs. 15% of men
- Only 13% of women say they login to Facebook less than once a week. One in five (20%) of men said the same
Women are also checking into their email more regularly than men.
- 83% of women check their primary email once a day or more vs. 75% of men
- This goes up to 90% of females age 35-44 as compared with 85% of men the same age
Why the FOMO Funk?
Why do women have this fear of missing out on things? For email, could it be that women are constantly in charge as the Chief Operating Officers of their families? They are dealing with children, family, spouses. Women are juggling work expectations and dealing with family schedules.
In connecting to their social networks, women are looking to their friends for the news they can use.
- 65% of women (vs. 59% of men) say they keep an eye on their social networking profiles because they don’t want to miss news or an important event or status update
- One quarter of female respondents (25%) said they typically visit or log-on to their social networking profiles when they wake up, before they check their email accounts. Only 18% of men report checking social networking profiles before e-mail
- 47% of women wish there was a solution to help them manage all their social networking profiles (vs. 40% of men)
- Marketing to Women: OMG! Do you have FOMO? Social Media Addiction? (jamiedunham.wordpress.com)
- Jeffrey Tinsley: FOMO Trumps FOPL With American Adults (huffingtonpost.com)